I’ve gained a lot of weight recently, and while my friends yell at me when I say I’m fat, I still weigh more than I would like. I weighed myself on the HIGHLY TECHNICAL scale at the gym yesterday, and this is the official Day 1 number.
Another friend has been raving about a diet she started and has maintained for six months, and which has a 28-day detox diet that I read over and feel like I can do. Since February also has 28 days I figured I’d go ahead and start it today.
Yes, this means that I’ve become the worst kind of blogger — a diet blogger. Sorry! I promise there will be other things in between the diet posts, but this is my way of making myself accountable to other people, which is pretty much the only way for me to avoid being lazy. The first two days of this diet are a smoothie fast, which I’ve actually never done. I’m a little worried about it: will I feel full? Will I get tired of my blender? Will I give up this early? That’s where you guys come in! (Also, my friends on Facebook, who are awesome.) Encouragement, recipes, ideas, anything, pass them along!
Here is today’s first smoothie! It is kind of alarmingly green, but it tastes pretty good. Today I learned that smoothies are a dish best served cold, and also that I have no idea what to do with kiwis. 🙂
Tom’s Fruity Medicine Chest Smoothie (mostly from The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook)
- 2 apples, cored and cut into chunks (I used granny smith, because they are my favorite.)
- 2 ripe pears, cored and cut into chunks
- 1-2 cups water
- 2 lemons, juiced (I left this out because you’re not supposed to have lemons until further on in the diet)
- 1- to 2-in piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced (I left this out because my grocery store didn’t have fresh ginger and I didn’t think the stuff from my sushi would work.)
- 5 kale leaves, rinsed and torn
- 5 romaine lettuce leaves, spinach leaves or collard greens, rinsed (I used lettuce)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green cabbage, optional (I left this out because I’m lazy)
- 1-2 kiwi fruit (I put in one)
- 1 handful of fresh parsley or mint leaves (I put in mint)
- 2-3 tablespoons flax seeds (The guy at the grocery store looked at me like I’d grown a third head when I asked if they had this.)
- 1/2 cup soaked goji berries (Didn’t even try to ask about this one.)
1) Place the apple chunks, pear chunks, water and lemon juice into a blender.
2) Add the ginger, kale, lettuce and cabage and blend again until very smooth. (I also threw in the mint and the kiwi here)
3) Taste and add more of something yummy if you don’t like it. (Yes, this is highly technical)
Verdict: It’s pretty good! Tastes very apply. I didn’t blend it long enough, so it’s kind of…grainy? There aren’t any chunks, though, so whatever.
See you tomorrow!